How to Use More than One PayPal IPN URL?
Scenario: You have more than one site or gateway that is connected to the same PayPal account.
Problem: In going through the setup instructions for your PayPal gateway (Express Checkout, Standard), you notice that PayPal only allows you to enter one unique IPN URL into your PayPal account, but you have two unique IPN URLs.
Solution: Use our PayPal IPN Forwarder Plugin. Download here.
Important: this plugin is not officially supported, meaning that the version here may not work for you. Please install the plugin, configure it following the instructions below, and if it does not work, please let us know.
Installation and Activation
This plugin is installed and activated like any other plugin on your site, but if you need it, here are the exact steps:
- Download a copy of the plugin using the link above and save it in a place you will remember for Step 4.
- Navigate to your WordPress Dashboard > Plugins page.
- Click the 'Upload Plugin' button.
- Use the 'Choose File' button to upload the file downloaded in Step 1 and use the 'Install Now' button to install it.
- Click the 'Activate' option and wait patiently for the plugin to activate.
With the plugin activated, you will now see this new menu item under MemberPress in your WordPress Dashboard:
Using the PayPal IPN Forwarder
The IPN Forwarder is very easy to use. Here is what you need to do:
First, copy and paste your unique IPN URLs given to you by MemberPress or any other plugin into this section. Next, click the 'Save URLs' button (shown above). Add as many URLs as you need, though we recommend the number not to exceed four different IPN URLs due to possible performance issues.
- Finally, copy and paste the IPN URL given by the plugin under the 'IPN to set in your PayPal account (shown above). If you are unsure where the IPN is to be entered, to begin with, please go to https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-ipn-notify and also review your PayPal gateway's setup, which has been linked to here: Express Checkout, Standard.
- Save this newly entered Forwarding IPN URL in your PayPal settings.
Here is an example of properly added IPN URLs:
What About the Return URLs?
You may have noticed that PayPal also only allows you to enter in one unique Return URL, but that MemberPress and other plugins may give you more than one unique Return URL.
Well, we cannot speak for other plugins, but if you are using this plugin with strictly MemberPress generated Return URL's, you only have to enter one Return URL given by MemberPress and PayPal will properly update the rest.
That's right, in this case, you will not have to do anything else!
What if I have several websites and all have MemberPress installed?
In that case, it doesn't matter where you install the IPN Forwarder plugin, but you need to install it on one website only. Then add IPN URLs from all of your websites to that plugin installation.