Configuring & Troubleshooting with PayPal Sandbox (for testing)
PayPal Sandbox is what you can use to test out how PayPal will work and feel on your site’s MemberPress registration process. In the video found below, you’ll be able to learn step-by-step how to set this up!
TIP: As explained in the video at around 2:10, don't use the Default sandbox accounts, the API doesn't always seem to work. Create new ones instead.
Ready To Go Live?
When you’re ready to go live, please click on the gateway option below that you want to configure to start collecting live payments.
What if I want to keep the Sandbox Gateway for future testing instead of updating it with my live credentials?
You can keep the Sandbox Gateway for future testing purposes and also create a live gateway. Simply start by clicking on the version of PayPal you’d like to set up from one of the above links, and then follow the instructions there exactly. After you’ve done that you’ll simply need to use the “Customize Payment Methods” Option found in your membership options for each membership on your site, as you can see below. Doing that will ensure that users won’t be able to use the test method when they subscribe to your site.
If you have followed exactly the instructions on this page for setting up your gateway, then it should work properly. So, if you are noticing issues with your gateway, it is likely going to be related to one of the items listed below. We have also included what to do if you are seeing these issues.
- Subscriptions and/or Transactions aren't updating correctly - If you are seeing subscriptions connecting to MemberPress with an ID that looks like mp-sub-xxxxxxxxxx and transactions that have ID's that look like mp-txn-xxxxxxxxxx then the issue is related to your IPN configuration. Please be certain that you have correctly entered your IPN. You can review how to do this between minute 3:23 and 4:55 in the above video.
- User's aren't being taken to your Thank You page - This means that you haven't correctly entered your return URL and/or configured it's settings. Please review this between minute 4:55 and 6:22 in the video on this page.
- Users are getting this system error: There was a problem with our system: The connection to PayPal failed. - This means that your gateway hasn't been saved correctly or that you haven't correctly connected your PayPal account with MemberPress. Please make sure that you have saved your gateway and if you still have issues after that, review the entire video above.
- You or the user aren't receiving the MemberPress Welcome email, New user sign up email, or other MemberPress emails - These new user MemberPress emails are triggered during the registration process by a completed transaction. If the transaction isn't completing in MemberPress, but is marked as such in PayPal, then this is related to the IPN not being setup correctly. You can review how to do setup your IPN between minute 3:23 and 4:55 in the above video.
- Your users are seeing this error before getting to the payment screen: ERROR Invalid Payment Method. - This likely means that you have enabled the Customize Payment Methods and left this gateway option unchecked. To fix this, simply uncheck the Customize Payment Methods option altogether, or if you need it to disable other gateway options for your membership, be sure to check this gateway option.
Are you still having issues with your PayPal Standard gateway even after reviewing the solutions outlined in the Gateway Issues section above? No problem, just send us a support ticket with a brief description of your issue, that you are using PayPal Standard (instead of Express Checkout or Pro), and what you have found in your tests so far. Please do not send us a support ticket until after you have followed the instructions in the Gateway Issues section to the best of your ability . . . we will ask you to review those things if your issue resembles any of those listed points. : )