How to Upgrade or Downgrade Your MemberPress Edition
In MemberPress, you can either upgrade or downgrade from your current MemberPress Edition. Remember, our prices are prorated based on what you've paid already, and how long you have had that membership for. So, the sooner you upgrade or downgrade, the more you'll be credited.
Paying for the Upgrade/Downgrade
Here are the exact steps you should follow to upgrade or downgrade.
- Login to your account page here.
- Navigate to the 'Subscriptions' tab (shown here).
- To the far right of your Membership, click the Change Plan link (shown here).
- You'll see the usual MemberPress purchase page but the price you see might be prorated (if applicable).
- Click Get Started button on the edition you would like to have and continue through the purchase process like normal.
- Once you arrive at the thank you page, the process to pay for the upgrade has been completed.
Changing the Edition on Your Site
After you have followed the steps above to purchase your upgrade or downgrade, it is extremely important to remember that simply going through the above steps does NOT automatically update your MemberPress Edition on your site. If you are changing a MemberPress Edition, you will also need to follow the steps below:
- Download a copy of the new Stable version from your account page here (the orange Download MemberPress x.y.z button) and make note of your License Key (this may have changed).
- Save that downloaded copy to your computer where you will remember it (for step 6).
- Navigate to your WordPress Dashboard -> Plugins.
- Find your current version of MemberPress and deactivate the license key by going to MemberPress -> Settings -> License tab and click the 'Deactivate License Key on yoursite.com' button.
- Deactivate and then delete MemberPress completely from the Plugins page.*
Note: doing this will NOT cause you to lose any saved data - that is all stored in your very own database! :)
- Then, go to the top of the plugins page you are on, and click the 'Add New' button, then on the next page, click on the 'Upload Plugin' button.
- Use the 'Choose File' button to select the file you saved early in Step 2, and then click the 'Install Now' button.
- On the next page, click the 'Activate' option.
- Finally, navigate to the MemberPress -> Settings -> License tab and enter in your license key, noted from Step 1.
- Click the 'Activate License Key on yoursite.com' button.
*ATTENTION: Starting from WordPress version 5.5, you can skip step 5. It is no longer necessary to deactivate and then delete the MemberPress plugin.
Instead, you continue with step 6 and after the upload completes, you'll get a screen like this one:
Then, simply click the Replace current with uploaded button and your MemberPress version will be replaced and will remain activated so you can skip step 8 as well. Don't forget to complete steps 9 and 10, though.
That's all, you've completed the upgrade/downgrade of your MemberPress plugin. :-)