Subscription Error Message on Account Page
If the above error is appearing on your account page for a user, then this page will help you to know why it's happening, how to prevent it, and how to resolve it.
Why It's Happening
This error will be triggered whenever a user's subscription has become Inactive AND when their Auto-Rebill is set to Enabled. So, if you are viewing from the MemberPress Admin section, you would see a red No under the Active column and Enabled under the the Auto-Rebill column.
Whenever a user's automatically recurring subscription has no active transactions anymore yet it is still trying to bill the user, they will see this error.
For example, for the subscription shown below, the error would be triggered:
How To Prevent It
One of the best ways to prevent lapses in your user's subscriptions is to enable some of our helpful emails.
The first that we recommend enabling is the Credit Card Expiring Notice email enabled on your MemberPress > Settings > Emails tab. That email will be triggered before the user's credit card expires and will prompt them to update their payment details asap to avoid any lapses in their subscriptions.
The second we recommend would be our Before Subscription Renews reminder email. This email can be set in the MemberPress > Reminders tab. You can use this email to remind users that their automatically recurring subscription will be billing them soon. You can edit the email to include whatever information you need that will be most helpful to prevent your users from having a lapse in their subscription.
How To Resolve It
To resolve this error, you have the following options:
- Delete the subscription triggering the error.
- Cancel the subscription.
- Help the user to make a payment by updating their payment details.
Delete the Subscription
You can delete the user's subscription by following these simple steps:
- Navigate to your WordPress Admin Dashboard.
- Go to the MemberPress > Subscriptions page.
- Use the right hand search option to search for the Subscription.
- Hover over the unique Subscription ID in the Subscription column.
- Click the Delete option.
- Read the warning message and if it's the right subscription, click the OK button.
Cancel the Subscription
For more information on how to cancel a user's subscription, please see this page.
Help the User to Make a Payment by Updating Their Payment Details
NOTE: the below information does not apply to subscriptions through PayPal. Due to PayPal limitations, it is best to instead cancel the user's subscription and then have them signup again. If you try to do what is outlined below for PayPal subscriptions, the user won't be billed until the next billing cycle. Which could be in 1 month, various months, or a whole year, depending on the terms of the membership.
You can send your user these following steps to update their payment details for this lapsed subscription:
- Login to your account page at [INCLUDE YOUR SITE'S ACCOUNT PAGE URL HERE].
- Visit the "Subscriptions" tab.
- Then use the "Update" link next to your subscription that has experienced a lapse in payment.
- Fill out your payment details on that page.
- Please wait 2-3 business days for the billing to occur.
If you as admin would like to force the billing to happen sooner, please note that you'll need to reach out to the support of whatever payment system you are using (e.g. Stripe, authorize.net) for steps and support to do that.