Configuring & Troubleshooting with Authorize.net
Authorize.net is only included in our Developer Edition of MemberPress.
To get started, navigate to the options menu in MemberPress and select payments.
- Click the plus button and select the gateway "Authorize.net"
- Name it whatever you want. This is the name that your users will see when they go to select how to pay.
- Go to your Authorize.net dashboard to obtain the necessary keys: login name & transaction key.
- In Authorize.net select API Login ID and Transaction Key under Security Settings
- Copy and paste the keys to your MemberPress settings.
- Copy and paste the "Silent Post URL" from MemberPress into your Authorize.net settings (found under the "Transaction Response Settings").
- Copy and paste the "MD5 Hash Value" from MemberPress into your Authorize.net settings (found under the "General Security Settings").
Use Test Mode if you want to make sure everything works without actually charging any cards. You'll need an account at developer.authorize.net to use the Test Mode. If you have been using Test Mode and your going live, be sure to update your Login Name, Transaction Key, Silent Post URL, and MD5 Hash to reflect the live account.
Use Force SSL if your site has the option of being viewed in http and https. This will automatically switch to https when a user is going to pay so that the transaction is secure.
Catch Up Payment Type
If a member fails to update their Credit Card and get's behind on payments -- you can use this feature to "catch them up" when they get around to updating their Credit Card info. The options are explained below:
- None - Don't use the catch up feature. The member can update their card info, but will not be billed for any delinquencies. Their next scheduled payment will be taken out normally.
- Period - The member is billed for "this" entire billing period. So if they have missed 5 monthly payments, they are only billed the full amount for the 5th period, not the prior 4 missed periods before it.
- Proration - The member is billed for the remainder of "this" billing period. So if they have missed 5 monthly payments, and there is still two weeks left in the 5th period, they will be billed immediately for those remaining two weeks.
- Full - Charge the member the full amount for their delinquent time. So if they missed 5 monthly payments, they would be charged for all 5 months when updating their card.
Cancelling in Authorize.net
Normally, you will want to cancel subscriptions directly in MemberPress as is outlined here. However, you may need to cancel a subscription directly in your authorize.net account. This would mainly be needed if you deleted the subscription in MemberPress before correctly cancelling it. If this or anything else is the case, you can follow these detailed instructions to cancel directly in authorize.net:
- Login to your Authorize.net account
- Click on Tools -> Recurring Billing
- View active subscriptions:
- Find the user's subscription in that list and click on it's Subscr ID link:
- Click "Edit Subscription" at the top:
- Click "Cancel Subscription" at the top:
- Click "OK" on the pop-up to confirm the cancellation: