Installing & Configuring our Quaderno Add-on
NOTE: This integration is available to members on our Pro plans. If you would like to upgrade to have access to this integration you can do so by clicking the Change Plan link on your account page here.
To calculate taxes in MemberPress, you can use Taxjar or upload custom tax rates as it is covered in our Taxes tutorial, but in order to automate this process, you can use powerful automation software called Quaderno with our Quaderno add-on that integrates Quaderno with MemberPress.
In this article, we go over how to set up and use Quaderno in MemberPress. We also cover some basic settings in Quaderno account but if you want to learn more, Quaderno has quite extensive documentation: https://support.quaderno.io/.
Install Quaderno Add-On
To install this add-on, navigate to WordPress Dashboard → MemberPress → Add-ons → find the add-on, and click the Install Add-on button. This will automatically download and install the add-on.
Configure Quaderno settings
After you install Quaderno add-on you will see the new Enable Quaderno option in MemberPress → Settings → Taxes tab. When you check this option, you will see two options: Quaderno API Key and Quaderno API URL.
Set up Quaderno jurisdictions
The very important thing in Quaderno is setting up tax jurisdictions where your business is registered. You can read more about it here.
To set up tax jurisdictions, navigate to Settings → Taxes → Jurisdictions section in your Quaderno account, click Add jurisdiction button, and add all needed fields. In my example below I added European Union jurisdiction.
Set up tax behavior in MemberPress settings
Membership specific options
- Default: Tax code from Quaderno settings
- Consulting: Any consulting and professional service (e.g., lawyers, designers, engineers, tax advisors, etc.).
- eBook: An electronic book that is sold with unlimited use.
- Electronically supplied services: Service that is delivered over the internet. It is essentially automated, involves minimal human intervention and in the absence of information technology does not have viability.
- Non-taxable: Any nontaxable good or service. No tax is applied for jurisdictions that impose a tax.
- Reduced tax rates: Specific goods and services with a reduced tax rate.
- Software as a service (SaaS): Cloud services software delivered over the internet. The software is not customized for the specific buyer. Assumes no software is downloaded by the buyer.
- Generally taxable: Any taxable good or service. For jurisdictions that impose a tax, the standard rate is applied.
That's it. You should now be able to collect taxes when customers purchase memberships in MemberPress and manage them in your Quaderno account!
I'm confused; help!
Shoot us an email from our support page if you need any further assistance with this add-on.